Green Cards, Trailer Registration and International Driver’s Permit

As we are sure you are all aware by now, on the result of a no deal Brexit, Green Cards will be required when driving in the EU, EEA, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland as proof of insurance. This follows guidance published by the ABI.

Some insurers are requiring advice 4 weeks before travel, others it is 7 days, and anything in between. Given the current question mark over whether this will happen, there is likely to be some flexibility on the notification period, to begin with.

If you need us to request a Green Card please provide:

  • Date of travel – from and to
  • The vehicle that is travelling
  • Countries being visited
  • If a trailer is being taken, or not

The last point is important because from 28th March 2019 you must register commercial trailers over 750kg and all trailers over 3,500kg before they can travel through countries that have ratified the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. For more information on this please follow government guidelines here. Note that a separate Green Card will be required for each trailer registered.

In addition to a Green Card and the trailer registration, in the case of a no deal Brexit all drivers would require an International Driver’s Permit (IDP) which can be obtained from The Post Office. Without both documents, the vehicle will not be allowed into the country. Please refer to the following link for further information:

For any further guidance on what drivers may need to do, please go to the government page here.

A fully accredited service delivered by professional brokers

Get in touch

    This web from is protected by Google reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.